Dr. Volodymyr Trotsiuk
+41 44 739 23 38
Institut fédéral de recherches sur la forêt, la neige et le paysage WSL
Birmensdorf Bi HL D 29
I’m a Data Scientist / Software Engineer working within LWF program. On my day to day routine, I’m responsible for: i) a user-friendly data(base) management, data QA/QC, data access, etc., ii) serve as a bridge between research community and big data; iii) advancing harmonization and standardization of Essential Variables (EVs) for Long-Term Ecological Research in Europe (LTER-Europe). Prior, I spent 10 years doing basic research, focused on disentangling effect of different exogenous and indigenous factors on tree and stand level growth and biomass accumulation, stand dynamics and disturbance history, and forest biodiversity. I’m passionate about using working tools as R, Fortran, SQL, ArcGis to uncover meaningful information from large and variable data-set into tangible scientific outputs.
Scientific & Social networks
LinkedIn; Reseach gate; Google scholar; ORCID; GitHub
- 2020.09-till present Data Scientist / Software Engineer at WSL, Switzerland. LWF program database management and maintenance. Development of user-friendly data access and delivery. Support scientist in performing data analysis.
- 2020.01-till present Scientific staff member at WSL, Switzerland. Standardizing and harmonizing essential variables for the Long-Term Ecological Research in Europe (LTER-Europe). Forecasting forest growth and carbon sequestration in Switzerland.
- 2018.01-2019.12 Postdoctoral researcher at ETH and WSL, Switzerland. Established a data assimilation system to combine networks of permanent monitoring plots and forest ecosystem model. Applied Bayesian framework to estimate posteriori distribution of parameters, constrain dynamic process-based model and estimate its uncertainties. Linked monthly or seasonal Swiss forest ecosystem productivity to global drivers.
- 2012.04-2017.12 Research assistant at Czech University of Life Science, Czech Republic. Understanding past disturbances and functioning of natural forest by scaling from tree to landscape. Co-lead in establishing 1500 permanent monitoring plots along the Carpathian Mountains. Developed and maintained PostgreSQL relational database and R shiny user interface for monitoring data storage and exploration.
- 2016.10-2017.10 Data scientist at KPMG, Czech Republic. Fulfilled data science duties at management consulting team. Build customer segmentation and personalised recommender engine. Developed statistical framework for analyzing spatial datasets to improve geo-marketing.
- 2013.10-2014.09 SCIEX fellowship at WSL, Switzerland. Evaluating the influence of natural disturbances on the magnitude and dynamics of biomass accumulation at decadal to centennial scale.